Skip to main content



Surface Design Study

By Marina Dawson

After some time pondering what may be an interesting thing to engrave into the wood, I began to think about the upcoming months ahead and Christmas time. I realized that it would be interesting to create some shapes and patterns that would resonate with my relatives to create some possible Christmas gifts. I eventually decided that I would use similar patterns to my texture study and create some coasters that my Croatian grandma would like.  


After examining examples of Croatian woodworking, I decided to settle on a couple of designs of Kolos, and after a lot of time, I was happy with the end result. 



Here was the final design in rhino that I made. 



After a couple of tries with Jessica, I finally lasered my favorite item, and with a bit of wood oil, I think that the final result is absolutely stunning. What I love most is that it is almost impossible to find these sorts of things unless I went back home to Croatia, and now I have a way of embracing my culture and heritage through modern technology that is fast and efficient. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

christmas ornaments

  Christmas ornament project After taking several months off from practicing on rhino7, I realized that I soon had an OBDF class coming up next semester, and I really needed to get warmed up. I decided that 3D-printed Christmas ornaments might just be the coolest thing ever, so here I am getting back on track in Rhino. Firstly, I used my command cheat sheet religiously. It was a crutch that I slowly had to wean myself off of. But after about an hour more of messing around trying to get the hang of Boolean unions and Boolean differences, I came up with a design that should work out. I wanted to create something circular, something that could still look great on my mother's tree and would match most of the shiny white and red bulbs she brings out each winter. But that being said, round shapes and 3D printers can take a bit of finessing, and if you're in a pinch and don't have 7+ hours to dedicate to each print job, this should be the project for you. I decided to slice the sp

Final Blog Post

  Final Blog Post  By: Marina Dawson After hours in the Think Tank, the classroom, and in my dorm on my computer, I can finally look back and reflect on my work. I have made tremendous progress and utilized more commands than I ever knew I could memorize. I am incredibly proud of myself and I feel as though I can clearly see my progress through each image of my work.   Assignment 1: Designing a Castle  At the beginning of class, I felt as though I was in over my head, I hardly remembered how to differentiate between a closed and open polysurface and therefore became frustrated when my boolean difference and union commands weren't functioning. I spent hours just trying to get basic extruded polygons on my plane, let alone re-learning basic render tools such as creating an awkward cloud background.  Although the castle turned out okay, I felt it lacked creativity and uniqueness because I was so limited on time and constantly struggled. By the second week, I even became insecure about

Croatian Pattern's and Motifs: Surface Design Creation

Croatian Pattern's and Motifs Project By: Marina Dawson OBDF 210           After plenty of research, I decided to create a spread of some of my favorite kolo's, Orgada's, and Narukvica's some which are from the region in Croatia my family is from, and ones that I had created myself. The color palette I decided to utilize are inspired by traditional kolo dresses and scarves from the capitol of Croatia, Zagreb.  I used a plethora of commands while creating this design such as, Array Polar, Offset, Mirror, Rotate (Copy) and of course Hatch. I struggled in some areas especially like using Array's as I am still familiarizing myself with the command. Otherwise, even though some of the processes may have been difficult, I am very pleased with the outcome and I think that the end result is beautiful