Skip to main content

Reverse Engineered Object: A Milestone

 Reverse Engineered Object: A Milestone 

By: Marina Dawson

I began this project, unsure of where I should even begin. I wandered around my dorm, pulling open the drawers in my kitchen and finding a can opener. At first, I thought this was definitely what I wanted to do, but after finding a small Travalo perfume atomizer, I decided that this was the direction I wanted to take. 


Firstly, I began by examining my object and pulling it apart, I also googled the brand and found most of the necessary dimensions on amazon and the manufacturer's diagrams for how the atomizer actually works. In the end, I created this video exploring what I learned and how the object can be disassembled.  


After this first step I began to take measurements with my digital caliper, I drafted out this image of my object, completely disassembled and labeled each area while doing this. This, in turn, made the next step of creating the object in Rhino much easier. 



I ran into a couple of issues at this point, I first struggled with creating the logo which is across the red case, which almost made me give up on the text completely. However, After taking a breath, I figured this problem out and included it in my second blog post. Later, updating my design and starting on some rough-looking materials for future renders.
 
 

In the end, I corrected over three design flaws, and overcame each one, The first was the text, the second was the materials for rendering my object, which looked grainy, and even had a watermark, and lastly sorting out some lighting issues which drove my crazy (Everything looked way too bright, even when I was hoping for dramatic shadows and highlights for this one image) In the end I came up with these renders here. 


This one is likely one of my favorites because it is so similar to the first screenshot I made, and I feel like I can compare the two and really see where I improved. 


I really love this render as well, because I used custom lighting to create these fantastic shadows which are really eye-catching. 



This Render was particularly successful because I love how dramatic the highlights and shadows are, I made this effect using a combination of a spotlight and a skylight. 


I made multiple exploded views of my design before, but never had any of them featured such an interesting layout, I did this by spreading my object out at an angle and then turning up the intensity of the skylight so that way the metal in the object really popped. I think this is one of my best renders so far. 


Finally, My favorite renders so far. After creating this one in particular I thought to myself, 
"Wow, their marketing group could likely use this render for a real-life advertisement". This was something really special to me because I realized for the first time that I was creating quality work and maybe this is something I can use in the future. Hands down, this is the render that encapsulated how much time and effort I put into this project and I couldn't be more happy about it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

christmas ornaments

  Christmas ornament project After taking several months off from practicing on rhino7, I realized that I soon had an OBDF class coming up next semester, and I really needed to get warmed up. I decided that 3D-printed Christmas ornaments might just be the coolest thing ever, so here I am getting back on track in Rhino. Firstly, I used my command cheat sheet religiously. It was a crutch that I slowly had to wean myself off of. But after about an hour more of messing around trying to get the hang of Boolean unions and Boolean differences, I came up with a design that should work out. I wanted to create something circular, something that could still look great on my mother's tree and would match most of the shiny white and red bulbs she brings out each winter. But that being said, round shapes and 3D printers can take a bit of finessing, and if you're in a pinch and don't have 7+ hours to dedicate to each print job, this should be the project for you. I decided to slice the sp

Final Blog Post

  Final Blog Post  By: Marina Dawson After hours in the Think Tank, the classroom, and in my dorm on my computer, I can finally look back and reflect on my work. I have made tremendous progress and utilized more commands than I ever knew I could memorize. I am incredibly proud of myself and I feel as though I can clearly see my progress through each image of my work.   Assignment 1: Designing a Castle  At the beginning of class, I felt as though I was in over my head, I hardly remembered how to differentiate between a closed and open polysurface and therefore became frustrated when my boolean difference and union commands weren't functioning. I spent hours just trying to get basic extruded polygons on my plane, let alone re-learning basic render tools such as creating an awkward cloud background.  Although the castle turned out okay, I felt it lacked creativity and uniqueness because I was so limited on time and constantly struggled. By the second week, I even became insecure about

Croatian Pattern's and Motifs: Surface Design Creation

Croatian Pattern's and Motifs Project By: Marina Dawson OBDF 210           After plenty of research, I decided to create a spread of some of my favorite kolo's, Orgada's, and Narukvica's some which are from the region in Croatia my family is from, and ones that I had created myself. The color palette I decided to utilize are inspired by traditional kolo dresses and scarves from the capitol of Croatia, Zagreb.  I used a plethora of commands while creating this design such as, Array Polar, Offset, Mirror, Rotate (Copy) and of course Hatch. I struggled in some areas especially like using Array's as I am still familiarizing myself with the command. Otherwise, even though some of the processes may have been difficult, I am very pleased with the outcome and I think that the end result is beautiful